Q: Can changes be made on Payment Assistance applications that were transferred to CSD's CORE system?

A: No. Once a Payment Assistance Record is sent, changes cannot be made. If you need to submit a change on a "Transferred" application, contact CSD first. Depending on when the record was transferred, they may be able to set to application to a "Working-Deficient" status so you can reject the record in ServTraq and re-transfer.